Chickpea Soup with Chorizos (Sopa de Garbanzos)
Preparation time: 45 min.
The smoky spicy chorizo, the mild flavor of the chickpeas and spinach are a great combination. The vegetarian option is equally good. Leave out the chorizo and substitute the chicken stock for a vegetable one. Sopa de Garbanzos with chorizos or ham is one of the mainstays of the Spanish cuisine.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 150 gr (about 1 cup) Spanish chorizo, sliced into 1/2 cm (1/8 inch) slices
- 1 medium onion (about 1/2 cup), thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 sticks of celery, thinly sliced
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- handful fresh spinach leaves, washed and drained
- 2 medium size tomatoes (about 1 cup), seeded and chopped coarsely
- 400 gr (about 1 3/4 cup) cooked or canned chickpeas
- 1.5 liter (6 cups) chicken stock
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- 4 tbsp chopped Italian parsley
- extra virgin oil to drizzle
When using canned chickpeas, drain the canning liquid and run briefly under cold water in a colander. Follow recipe as if using home cooked chickpeas.
Heat olive oil in a deep saucepan over medium high heat. Add chorizo slices and cook for 2-3 minutes or until chorizo starts rendering some fat. Stir constantly, so chorizos don't burn on the edges. Remove from saucepan and set aside on paper towels. Add onion slices, garlic and celery. Bring the heat down to a simmer and cover the saucepan. Let the veggies simmer for about 5-8 minutes, stirring now and then. Add chickpeas, chopped tomatoes, chorizo and chicken stock to the onion-celery mix. Bring to a boil and then lower the heat. Cook the soup for about 30 minutes or until chickpeas are soft. Add the spinach leaves and let them just wilt. Taste for salt and pepper.
Just before serving, give the chickpea soup a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil. Toasted bread is a great accompaniment to this soup.