Servings: 4 – 6
Preparation time: 60 min.
A delicious and easy to prepare tart which can be served warm or cold. Cut tart into squares to reveal the colorful layers and pack it as a take along on a picnic or as a satisfying light lunch with a salad, perhaps a tomato salad.
- 1 1/2 cup (340 g) spinach steamed and well drained
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 1 cup (225 g) mozzarella, well drained
- 2 Tbsp Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1/2 cup (115 g) salami slices
- 2 medium size canned roasted red peppers, about 1/2 cup (115 g) well drained
- 2 puff pastry sheets, about 10 oz (285 g)
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- egg wash
- 1 tsp roasted sesame seeds
Preheat oven 375°F (190°C).
Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Sauté the shallots and the garlic until soft. Add the spinach (no moisture) to the shallots. Mix well. Salt and pepper it. Add the remaining tablespoon of olive oil and set aside to cool.
Shred mozzarella and set aside. Cut salami slices into thin batonettes. Set aside.
Chop roasted peppers into 1/2 inch (1 cm) cubes and set aside.
Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Roll out the two puff pastry sheets on the parchment paper. Spread spinach-shallot mix on one puff pastry sheet. Make sure you leave about 2 inches (5 cm) at the edges free. Arrange mozzarella shreds evenly on top of the spinach. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Cover mozzarella with the roasted pepper followed by the salami batonettes. Brush edges with egg wash.
Take the other puff pastry sheet and fold it over the filling. Press it closed with the tines of a fork. Brush top with the remaining eggwash and sprinkle with the sesame seeds. Make about 3-4 air vents with the tip of a knife on the top.
Bake for about 35-40 minutes or until the top is golden brown. Leave to cool before cutting.