Preparation time: 1 hour 45 min.
This roasted vegetable tart is a great idea for a lovely brunch or lunch prepared at a moment’s notice. A shortcrust pastry filled with eggplant, tomato, zucchini, red and green peppers, potatoes, onions and Gruyère cheese.
A tossed green salad, a crusty country bread and a dry white wine are a great match.
- 1 savoury shortcrust pastry for a 10 inch (25 cm) tart pan with removable bottom, for ingredients click here
- 1 small fennel (about 1 cup – 225 g), cut into 1 inch (2 cm) dices
- 1 small eggplant (about 1 cup – 225 g), cut into 1 inch (2 cm) dices
- 1 medium zucchini (about 1 cup – 225 g), cut into 1 inch (2 cm) dices
- 1/2 green pepper, cut into 1 inch (2 cm) dices
- 1/2 red pepper, cut into 1 inch (2 cm) dices
- 1 1/4 cup (285 g) red potatoes, diced into 1 inch (2 cm) cubes
- 1 cup (225 g) onions, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves thinly sliced
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- 4 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 5 eggs
- 6 Tbsp Crème Fraîche
- 3 medium tomatoes, sliced in rounds
- 1/4 cup (60 g) flat-leafed (Italian) parsley, chopped
- 1/4 cup (60 g) basil leaves, chopped
- 1/2 cup (115 g) Gruyère cheese or any sharp Swiss cheese, grated
First I prepare the savoury shortcrust pastry and let it rest in the fridge – you find the recipe here.
Preheat the oven 400°F/200°C.
Place fennel, eggplant, zucchini, red and/or green peppers, potatoes, onion and garlic in a bowl. Add the 4 tablespoon olive oil and mix it well to coat all vegetables. Spread them on a baking sheet without crowding. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast them for about 15 minutes, turning them once in a while. Remove from the oven and let it cool.
Roll out shortcrust pastry onto the bottom and sides of a 10 inch (25 cm) pie pan with removable bottom. Cut off excessive pastry hanging over the sides. Place the cooled vegetables in the pastry shell. Sprinkle vegetables with grated Gruyère cheese or any sharp Swiss cheese, it makes for a nice piquancy. Beat eggs with crème fraîche, season with salt and freshly ground pepper. Pour egg mix carefully over the vegetables. Arrange the tomato slices on top and scatter the parsley and basil over it. Bake for 35-45 minutes or until it is puffed and golden.
Serve warm or at room temperature.