Preparation time: 30 min.
Salade de Tomate, Haricots Verts et Roquefort, a great salad and appetizer.
If you decide to make this a main dish – ideal for a light lunch – you need to double the amount of the ingredients. The Roquefort cheese or any firm, sharp blue vein cheese gives this dish the special kick.
- 1/2 lb (225 g) young green beans or haricots verts
- 1 small red onion
- 1/2 lb (225 g) red, ripe tomatoes, cored and cut into 3/8 inch (1 cm) strips
- 1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 2 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- 4 tbsp (1/4 cup) extra virgin olive oil
- 4 Tbsp fresh basil, chopped
- 4 oz (115 g) Roquefort cheese or any firm, sharp blue vein cheese, cut into 3/8 inch (1 cm) cubes
- salt and freshly ground pepper
Wash and trim the ends of the green beans. If they are very long cut them in half. Place enough water in a pot to cover the beans and bring it to a boil. Add salt and cook the beans until crisp-tender about 6-8 minutes. Do not overcook. Run beans quickly under cold water to preserve their fresh green color and drain.
Cut red onion into thin slivers and set aside. Cut tomatoes into thin strips and set aside. Put mustard, cumin and vinegar in a mixing bowl. Beat with a wire whisk while adding the extra virgin olive oil gradually. Taste for salt and pepper. Arrange beans, onion slivers and tomato strips on a salad dish. Pour sauce over it and mix it well. Let it cool down to room temperature for 15 minutes. Sprinkle with basil and add the Roquefort cheese.