Preparation time: 30 min. plus chilling time
A tasty salad from Apulia in the South of Italy. It’s a fabulous dish on its own with a crusty white bread and glass of white wine.
- 3/4 lb (340 g) yellow wax beans
- 1/2 red pepper
- 1/2 green pepper
- 1 Tbsp olive oil to baste the peppers
- 2 hard-boiled eggs
- 3 scallions, thinly sliced
- 2 tomatoes, seeded and sliced thinly
- 1/4 cup (60 g) chopped parsley
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) extra virgin olive oil
- 4 Tbsp white balsamic vinegar
- 1 garlic clove finely minced
- salt and freshly ground pepper
Preheat the oven grill for 10 minutes.
Baste the red and green peppers with the olive oil. Lay them on a baking tray lined with aluminum foil, skin side up. Grill peppers until the skin is charred and with black dots. Take the tray out of the oven and make a package out of the aluminum paper, closing peppers inside. Let them “sweat” for about 10 minutes. Pull pepper skin off with the aid of a small knife. Cut peppers in slivers of about 1/4 inch (about 1/2 cm). Set aside.
While peppers are roasting, bring water to a boil and cook wax beans for about 10 minutes or until they are “al dente”. When wax beans are cooked, drain and run them briefly under cold water. Set aside.
In a bowl, mix wax beans, the chopped eggs, the roasted peppers, scallions, sliced tomatoes and the chopped parsley. Add the garlic vinaigrette, taste for salt and pepper. Let it stand for 30 minutes.
Serve on its own as a light lunch or with grilled meats.