Preparation time: 40 minutes
- 1 lb (450 g) green asparagus
- ½ red pepper cut into ½ inch slices
- ½ green pepper cut into ½ inch slices
- ½ yellow pepper, cut into ½ inch slices
- 4 Tbsp grape seed oil or canola oil
- 1 lb (450 g) firm-fleshed fish fillets like mahi-mahi, sea bass, about 1 ½ inch (3-4 cm) thick
- 12 large shrimps, peeled, deveined
- ½ cup (115 g) roasted peanuts coarsely ground
- ¼ cup (60 g) scallions, finely sliced
- ¼ cup (60 g) cilantro or Italian parsley, roughly chopped
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 large shallot, finely diced
- 4 Tbsp rice vinegar or white balsamic vinegar
- 2 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 Tbsp grated fresh ginger
- a pinch of cayenne
- 1 fresh red chilli pepper, thinly sliced (optional)
- 2 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- ¼ cup (60 ml) grape seed oil or canola oil
Bring water to a boil in a large saucepan. Add salt. Cut tough asparagus ends and discard. Slice each asparagus spears into 2 inches (5 cm) pieces. Place asparagus into boiling water and cook for about 2-3 minutes or until “al dente”. Take care not to overcook. Drain asparagus and refresh them under cold water to arrest cooking. Place it on paper towels to drain and cool.
In the meantime, pat fish fillets dry with paper towels. Season both sides with salt and pepper. Heat grape seed oil over high heat. Pan roast fillets for about 3-4 minutes on one side. Carefully flip fillets on the other side and continue cooking until golden on the edges. Remove fish from the saucepan and set aside to cool on a plate. Add shrimp to the same saucepan and saute shrimp until they just turn pink about 2 minutes. Set aside.
Put shallots in a small bowl. Add vinegar, sugar, mustard, cayenne, red chile (optional), salt and freshly ground pepper. Let it sit for 5 minutes. Add ginger, garlic, sesame oil and grape seed oil. Mix it well and set aside. Adjust seasoning to your liking.
Assembling the Salad:
Put asparagus and peppers in a serving bowl. Add half of the vinaigrette and toss to coat. Scatter fish, shrimp, scallions and ground peanuts on top of it. Drizzle with remaining vinaigrette. Garnish with cilantro and serve immediately.