Preparation time: 60 min.
This simple recipe combines the apples’ fine flavor and the sweet taste of the Muscat wine. Serve on its own or with vanilla ice cream.
- 4 Tbsp (60 g) unsalted butter at room temperature
- 5 Tbsp (75 g) sugar
- 1 Tbsp (15 g) orange or lemon zest
- 4 large baking apples, any tart apple like Golden Delicious, Jonathan, Granny Smith or Boskoop
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- Pinch of saffron (optional)
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) Muscat wine or any natural sweet
Preheat oven to 325°F (160°F).
Cream butter, sugar and lemon zest together. Core and peel the top third of the apples. Baste the peeled parts of the apples with the lemon juice to avoid oxidation.
Stuff the empty cores with the butter/sugar mixture. Sprinkle apples with saffron (optional).
Arrange apples in a baking dish so they fit snuggly. Pour the Muscat wine around them.
Place the apples in the oven and bake for 30-40 minutes or until they are tender but do not fall apart. Baste them frequently with the accumulated juices. Tops should be nicely golden and when pierced with a knife offer no resistance.