Preparation time: 60 min.
Fettuccine con Confit di Zucchine e Spinaci – a tried and trusted recipe, easy to prepare. The zucchinis cooked in confit acquire a rich buttery flavor. Combine them with the spinach, peas and add a touch of cream, pronto, slow food par excellence!
- 1 lb (450 g) fresh fettuccine
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) extra virgin olive oil
- 4 cloves of garlic, finely sliced
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 6 medium zucchinis, cut into 1 inch (2 1/2 cm) thick slices
- 3 Tbsp white wine
- 1/2 cup (115 g) peas (fresh or frozen)
- 1 lb (450 g) fresh spinach, shredded
- 1 small fresh red chilli pepper, seeded and finely sliced into thin slivers
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) Crème Fraîche
- 1/2 cup (115 g) Pecorino Romano cheese, grated
Place 3/8 cup (100 ml) olive oil (leave the rest for later) in a heavy-based pan over medium heat. Add the zucchini, garlic, salt and pepper. Cook over high heat for 2 minutes and stir well. Reduce the heat to very low and cook the zucchini until they are golden and soft, about 30-40 minutes. Use very low heat and stir occasionally making sure that the zucchini do not brown. When the zucchini is done, falling apart, add the white wine, spinach and the peas. Taste for salt and pepper again. Stir until the spinach is wilted. Add the cream, the remaining olive oil and the chilli pepper. Cook for another 2-3 minutes. Set aside and keep warm.
Cook the pasta until “al dente”. Add the zucchini spinach confit and sprinkle with Pecorino.