Preparation time: 30 min.
Eggplants are an excellent pairing to pasta. Their nice texture and capacity to absorb flavours make them a great substitute for meat. Sun dried tomatoes enhance this vegetarian option or light summer meal.
- 8 oz (225 g) Penne
- 1 medium eggplant, about 1 lbs (450 g), cut into 1 inch (2 1/2 cm) cubes
- 4 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup (225 g) fresh tomatoes, peeled, seeded and coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup (115 g) sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil, thinly sliced
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- fresh basil leaves for garnish
Preheat the broiler. Brush eggplant cubes with 2 tablespoon olive oil on all sides. Arrange eggplant cubes in a single layer on a baking sheet. Broil them for about 5 minutes until golden on one side. Turn them and broil them on the other side again. Remove eggplant from oven, cover the baking sheet with aluminium foil and keep it warm.
Bring water to a boil in a saucepan for cooking the Penne. Add Penne and cook it according to package instructions.
In the meantime, heat the 2 remaining tablespoon olive oil over medium heat in a saucepan. Add the chopped fresh tomato, sun-dried tomatoes, onion, garlic and vinegar. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook it for about 5 minutes. If the sauce seems too dry add a bit water. Add broiled eggplant cubes and mix well. Taste for salt and pepper.
When Penne finishes cooking, drain it and return it to the saucepan. Add tomato eggplant mix, toss it well.
Sprinkle with shredded basil leaves and Parmesan cheese and serve it at once.