Preparation time: 45 min.
A great side dish to roasted meats. Serve this favorite from Liguria in Italy on its own or as a side dish with an extra drizzle of extra virgin olive oil.
- 1 lb (450 g) new potatoes peeled and quartered
- 1 lb (450 g) young green beans, ends snipped off and cut in the middle, if necessary
- 1/2 lb (225 g) ripe tomatoes, peeled, seeded and coarsely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
- 1/2 cup (115 g) finely chopped Italian parsley
- 3/4 cup (170 g) bacon or smoked ham, cut into strips (optional)
- 1 Tbsp olive oil and some extra virgin olive oil for drizzling
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- salt and freshly ground pepper
Bring water to a boil. Add salt. Cook potatoes for about 15-20 minutes or until tender when pierced with a knife. Drain and set aside.
Cook green beans for about 8-10 minutes or until al dente. Place green beans in a colander. Run green beans under cold water to retain their green color. Drain and set aside.
Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the bacon or smoked ham strips and sauté until crisp. Set the bacon aside on a paper towel to drain.
Discard excess oil and fat, leaving 1 tablespoon only. Add the garlic and parsley. Sauté for 2 minutes, taking care not to burn the garlic. Add the coarsely chopped tomatoes and continue cooking for about 5 minutes or until tomatoes start falling apart. Add the bacon strips, potatoes, and green beans, mixing all well. Taste for salt and pepper. Just before serving drizzle with lemon juice. Add extra virgin olive oil, if necessary.
A great side dish to roasted meats.