Preparation time: 45 minutes
Parmigiana di Zucchini, Mozzarella e Acciughe, a dish which has been around since Roman times. Because of their long shelf life, anchovies were used then as today to flavor dishes. No wonder, anchovies are still the “little secret” in many Mediterranean dishes. Please use good quality anchovies, not the dismal canned ones you find in many US supermarkets. This simple and tasty bake will be a class of its own with the addition anchovies. Serve with a crusty bread as an antipasto or a light meal.
- 1 ¾ lbs (800 g) zucchini, sliced into about 1/2 inch (1 cm) thick ribbons
- 1 red pepper, thinly sliced, about 1 cup (225 g)
- 2 medium-sized onions, thinly sliced, about 1 cup (225 g)
- 2 Tbsp fresh oregano, finely minced
- 10 anchovies in oil, drained and finely chopped
- ½ cup (120 ml) extra virgin olive oil
- 9 oz (250 g) fresh mozzarella, drained and sliced into 1 inch (2 cm) rounds
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- 3 Tbsp grated Parmesan
Heat 4 tablespoons of olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Saute zucchini ribbons until they are golden on both sides. Set aside on paper towels to drain. Add 2 more tablespoons of olive oil to the same skillet and saute red peppers and onions for about 5 minutes more. Add the oregano, the minced anchovies, and freshly ground pepper. Mix it gently.
Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Oil a baking dish and alternately layer zucchini, peppers, onions, anchovies mix and mozzarella. Garnish with some pepper strips and sprinkle with Parmesan on top. Bake for about 30-35 minutes or until the top is nicely golden and bubbly.