Preparation time: 20 minutes
A combination that has everything going for it. One of those recipes where the end result is more than the sum of its parts. I prefer to use white balsamic vinegar, a mild vinegar which does not overpower the pepperiness of the arugula and the pungency of the blue cheese.
- 4 cups (about 120 g) baby arugula, washed and sorted
- 1 ½ cups (75 g) grated carrots
- 1/2 cup (115 g) blue cheese in small cubes or crumbles
- 10 – 12 pecans
- ¼ cup (60 ml) white balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp (5 ml) Dijon mustard
- 2 Tbsp (30ml) honey or to taste
- 1 small garlic clove, finely minced
- ½ cup (120ml) extra virgin olive oil
- salt and freshly ground pepper
Heat a small skillet to high on the stove top. Add the pecans shaking and turning the whole time. Roast pecans until they become darker in color. Keep a close eye on them as pecans burn easily. Set aside on paper towel to cool.
In a small bowl, combine vinegar, mustard, honey, and garlic. Whisk well. Add olive oil in a stream and continue whisking until well blended. Taste for salt and pepper. Set aside.
Arrange arugula, carrots, and pecans in a salad bowl. Drizzle dressing over it and toss it gently.
Distribute blue cheese cubes or crumbs on top and serve.