Preparation time: 20 minutes
A versatile dish with great color and contrasting flavors done in a jiffy thanks to a pantry staple, canned Cannellini beans. Comfort food in many shapes. A satisfying vegetarian choice, a side dish to your choice of meats and a great pic-nic take along. Broccoli or broccoli rabe can be used instead of broccolini.
- 1 bunch broccolini, washed and drained, thick stalks trimmed and cut into pieces
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- sea salt
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced
- pinch of red pepper flakes
- 3 1/2 cups (800 g) canned Cannellini beans, rinsed and well drained
- 2 anchovy fillets, finely chopped (optional)
- extra virgin olive oil for drizzling
- Pecorino Romano cheese, grated
Preheat oven to 425°F/220°C
Place broccolini in a large bowl. Drizzle with 2 tablespoons olive oil, sea salt and red pepper flakes. Add the garlic slices. Mix all well making sure that broccolini are well oiled. Spread them on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Roast for about 10 minutes or until stems are tender and florets are slightly charred on edges. Remove from oven and set aside.
In the meantime warm Cannellini beans in a skillet with 1/2 cup of water. Bring to a brisk boil, reduce heat to low and warm beans. Watch beans closely and do not let them get too soft and fall apart. Add the broccolini and anchovies. Stir it gently. Adjust seasonings and add a bit more water if necessary. The dish should be a bit saucy. Place it in a serving dish and drizzle some extra olive oil just before serving. Sprinkle with Pecorino Romano and garnish with cherry tomatoes.