Preparation time: 30 minutes plus 1 hour marinating
This Thai inspired chicken dish combines the golden color of turmeric with coconut milk and tangy lime. The result is spectacular. Jasmine Rice with Shredded Coconut and Cilantro turns a dinner into something special without extra work.
- 1 lb (450 g) chicken breasts or thighs, skinless, boneless and cut into 1″ (2.5 cm) cubes
- 2 tsp turmeric
- 3 large scallions, thinly sliced
- 3 Tbsp cilantro (fresh coriander leaves), coarsely chopped
- 14 oz (420 ml) unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 Tbsp plus 1 tsp canola oil
- 3 tsp hot sauce, like sriracha, or to taste
- 1 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 Tbsp fresh lime juice, plus lime wedges for serving
- salt and freshly ground pepper (optional)
- Additional scallions and cilantro for garnish
In a bowl, mix 1 tablespoon of the oil with 1 teaspoon of the hot sauce, the soy sauce and 1/2 teaspoon of the sugar. Add the chicken and toss to coat. Refrigerate for 1 hour.
Heat 1 tablespoon canola oil a large nonstick skillet over moderately high heat. Add the chicken, season with salt, pepper (optional) and turmeric. Cook, shaking the pan occasionally, until browned and just cooked through, 5 to 6 minutes. Chicken thighs require a bit longer cooking about 10 minutes. Transfer the chicken to a plate and keep it warm.
Heat the remaining 1 teaspoon of oil in the skillet. Add the scallions and cook until crisp-tender 2 to 3 minutes. Take care not to let them burn. Add scallions to your chicken plate. Add coconut milk, lime juice, remaining 2 teaspoons of hot sauce and 1/2 teaspoon of sugar to the skillet. Bring to a simmer and cook until reduced by one-third, about 5 minutes. Stir the chicken and scallions into the sauce, season with salt and pepper and simmer it for about 5 minutes longer. Garnish with additional scallions and cilantro (fresh coriander leaves) and lime wedges. Serve immediately.