Yield: 4 servings
Time: 30 minutes
I am a bean enthusiast, I like them all as you can see in my Beans, Beans and Beans post. They are nutritious with lots of essential minerals. For this dish, you can use lima beans, butter beans or fava beans. This cool lemony salad is one of my favorites. All you need is a savory crusty bread to mop up the salad juices and to enjoy the eating moment. Need a side dish for a barbecue party? It lends itself to be prepared ahead.
Most beans are quite bland which makes them an ideal flavor absorber. Be bold and adjust the dressing to your taste. They tend to soak up a lot of liquid. Frozen young shelled lima beans are a great help in preparing this dish.
- 2 1/2 cups (560 g) frozen lima beans
- 1 cup (225 g) cherry tomatoes, halved or diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup (115 g) red onions, diced or thinly sliced scallions
- 2 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 1/4 cup (60 g) chopped Italian parsley
- 1/4 cup (60 g) pitted black olives or 1/2 cup (115 g) cucumbers sliced
- juice of 1 lemon or to taste
- 1 tsp ground cumin or to taste
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) extra virgin olive oil
- salt and freshly ground pepper
Bring water to a boil in a saucepan. Add salt. Add lima beans and cook according to package directions. Drain beans in a colander. Run them quickly under cold water to keep their nice green color. Let them cool.
In the meantime prepare the salad dressing with garlic, parsley, lemon juice, ground cumin, salt and pepper and extra virgin olive oil. When beans are cold, add the dressing and mix well. Add seasonings to your taste.
If you decide to serve it immediately, add tomatoes, black olives or cucumber, red onion or scallions all at once. For advance preparations, add tomatoes, cucumbers, red onions or scallions just before serving. They tend to lose their crunchiness when added too early.