Yield: 6-8 servings
Time: 60 minutes
A cake that is pure comfort and joy. Dense and moist, studded with candied ginger and topped with a honey and apple brandy glaze. A perfect dessert for any occasion.
- 2 medium Gala apples, peeled and sliced into 1/2 inch (1 cm) wedges
- 1/2 cup (115 g) butter, unsalted and at room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups (340 g) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup (115 g) sugar
- 2 Tbsp sugar for sprinkling over the apples
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) raw honey – don’t use pasteurized honey
- 3 eggs
- 1 Tbsp freshly grated ginger
- 1/4 cup (60 g) candied ginger cut into small dices
- 1/4 tsp grated lemon zest
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup (60 g) sugar
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) raw honey
- 2 Tbsp Calvados or apple brandy
Butter and flour a 9 inch (23 cm) springform pan. Set aside. Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C) and position oven rack in the middle.
In a mixer cream butter and sugar until light. Add honey and cream it a minute longer. Beat in one egg at the time making sure that they are well incorporated. Stir in grated ginger, candied ginger and lemon zest. Sift flour, baking powder, and salt. Add it to the mixer. Stir it briefly just until combined and smooth. Do not overmix. Pour batter into prepared pan.
Arrange overlapping apple slices in concentric circles on top. Sprinkle them with 2 tablespoons sugar. Place cake pan on a baking sheet and bake it for about 45-50 minutes or until an inserted skewer comes out clean. If the cake begins to brown too quickly, cover it with a foil until done.
Cool cake on a rack for 10 minutes before unmolding it.
Combine sugar, honey, and Calvados in a small saucepan over medium heat. Stir constantly until sugar is dissolved and glaze mix bubbles gently, about 3 minutes. Paint the cake with the glaze and let it sit for a few minutes.
The cake keeps well and improves in taste overnight. That’s to say if it survives to see the next day!!!