Yield: 4 servings
Time: 20 minutes
A simple tomato and cucumber salad inspired by a Middle Eastern recipe. Terrific on its own or with grilled Halloumi or feta. I normally make the salad 1 hour in advance so the flavors meld. I think that the best thing aside of the salad is what is sitting on the bottom ready to be mopped up with a piece of bread.
- 1/2 cup (115 g) broken walnuts
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) imported balsamic vinegar
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 lb (450 g) ripe and firm tomatoes, seeded and diced into 1/2 inch (about 1.5 cm) chunks
- 2 scallions, finely sliced
- 1 cup or about 25 g Italian Parsley, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup or about 12 g finely chopped fresh mint leaves
- 1 medium English cucumber, seeded and cut into 1/2 inch (about 1.5 cm) chunks
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely minced
Toast walnuts in a small frying pan until they are lightly browned. Set aside to cool.
In a small bowl, whisk balsamic vinegar with olive oil. Toss tomatoes, scallions, parsley, mint, cucumber, jalapeno pepper and balsamic dressing in a bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle walnuts on top and stir it gently to combine all well.
Serve immediately or let it sit for 1 hour.